Monday 7 February 2011

Rob Ryan

I had seen Rob Ryan's work years ago but did not know who he was, it was only whilst on the course that I came across him again and made the connection, He created the covers for some of Louise De Bernieres books. I LOVE all of De Bernieres book, have read them, re read them ... So when I saw one of Rob Ryan's books in the library I jumped at the chance of taking it out.

I make cards as a hobby, they are one offs, intimate for my partner, (she has quite a collection now) I make them for any odd occasion and they used to involve me creating them digitally, but when I really looked at Ryan's work I knew that is what I wanted to do, create cut out images. I started off simply, using different blocks of colour to create shapes, then I started to look at using negative space, using a single piece of card and cutting out the background, leaving a silhouette like image. This worked, and is a really effective way for me to create handmade cards. I really appreciate Rob Ryan's skill with a blade and the ingenious ways he uses borders and joints to strengthen the structure. It is something which I love to do and will continue to develop.


No comments:

Post a Comment