Monday 7 February 2011

Chris Ware - Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth

I LOVE THIS BOOK. Okay now I have that out of my system, here is the why. I love Chris Ware's style, everything is bold and defined, this is something which I seem to connect with constantly, I use it in my work and try to find it in other artists. I like the way he uses washed out, bleak colours which stand out even more against the thick black lines. He creates extremely dour imagery to go along with the equally depressing story of a socially inept and lonely character. It is an awkward and sad story, one which haunts me, and has stuck in my mind ever since I opened the pages, sitting there in my local library, on my own. Chilling. That seems like a reason to not like it, but it stuck with me, so I bought it, the book itself is much more than a book, it is Jimmy's life, it has an extensive family tree and is a gripping read, even for a graphic novel. This book is a must read, writing this has made me want to do so again!




No comments:

Post a Comment